Pages

Tuesday, 14 July 2026

Borneo; Day 12 - Kinabatangan Bird Hide & Menara Kayangan

  Because Laura wanted a day to relax before Danum Valley, we had ended with a full day around the city of Lahad Datu. Consequently, I had arranged a visit to the Taliwas River Conservation Area hide to see the Bornean Ground Cuckoo that was visiting, which would be insurance if we could not find it in Kinabatangan. However, the previous afternoon the hide manager messaged me to tell me the cuckoo had not been seen for four days. Having now seen the bird, and not wanting to shell out the money for a bird that might not come, I quickly changed plans and decided to visit the Kinabatangan hide 75 minutes from Lahad Datu where the normally erratic Giant Pitta had been visiting for a week. 

  I arrived at the hide at 06:00, and with a team of other birders we settled in for our watch. It started very well, with a Black-crowned Pitta showing well followed by several Bornean Crested Firebacks showing well on and off throughout the morning, including a spectacular male displaying. Then came the Kingfishers, first with Rufous-backed Dwarf Kingfisher, then Rufous-collared Kingfisher, first a female and then a male, followed by two new ones for me. First Ruddy Kingfisher dropped in, and then finally about midway through the morning a Banded Kingfisher finally appeared. All continued to appear after their first visit. 

  Around the feeders there was a nice selection of Babblers, starting with Leaflitter Babbler, then Bornean Black-capped Babbler and then the new ones I had hoped for. First was Black-throated Babbler, a very nice bird, followed by Ferruginous Babbler and then finally a brief visit from a Grey-headed Babbler. The final birds to appear at the feeders were a pair of Sabah Partridge and then two Banded Broadbill. 

  Note that I did not mention the Giant Pitta, because despite staying until 11:15, the bird did not come. Having agreed to return to Laura for midday, leaving at 11:15 was already pushing it and the bird could still turn up at any point. But having checked the eBird lists of the other birders at the hide, it appears I dodged a bullet by leaving early, as they did not report the Giant Pitta.   

  Once I returned to Lahad Datu, we grabbed a bite to eat and then headed to the Menara Kayangan hill, where the same birder who I contacted about the Bornean Ground Cuckoo also had a hide for the stunning Blue-banded Pitta. This was much less of a sure thing, but seeing this species could save us so much time in Danum. We arrived at 15:00 and waited for an hour with just a fat White-crowned Shama to show for our efforts. But then, in response to the relentless playback, the bird responded. About 15 minutes later it appeared! It scoffed worms for about five minutes and then it was gone! Since we had been told that the bird really was difficult, and had not been seen that very morning, I had hardly been optimistic about our chances, so I was over the moon with that.

  So at 16:45 we left the mountain and returned to Lahad Datu to relax and celebrate an ultimately successful day, before we headed off to Danum Valley tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment