Saturday 6 November 2010

waxwings in halifax town center

Everyone seemed to be talking about the waxwing invasion all week, and the texts had been coming thick and fast, only imprisoned by school I was powerless to try and track them down. However Saturday dawned with a text of some at the bottom of warley road. my mum was ready too late and therefore we missed those ones but after a drive around Steve's birds behind the fire station allowed us to track down some waxwings. I am very grateful to my mum for ferrying me around but here is what happened in picture order.

we arrived to find lots of waxwings hiding up trees , pretty much out of reach of my camera.


The birds that did come in range were flying really fats and so I couldn't pick them up, but then one came at just the right speed and height to get the shot I wanted of a waxwing in flight.

Steve suggested that we move back to allow the birds to feed at the berries that were near us. And sure enough they did and I was able to get some more, better photographs of them feeding on the berries.

There were some birds that perched themselves conveniently on top of trees so that i could get a great portrait photo of them.


Then a sparrowhawk flew over and all but a few of the waxwings left, so overall we saw lots of waxwings and had a great morning.


great, only my second ever waxwings and in better numbers than before and with photos to go with it too. Great stuff!!

5 comments: