Tuesday 2 July 2013

Mistle Thrush Rescue

Walking down towards Bradshaw park at around 7.00 today I noticed a small brown blob in the middle of the road which turned out to be a juvenile mistle thrush. It seemed OK, though it showed no concern at my approach, but I decided that I could not leave it in the road. As such I made a move to catch it and move it into a field adjacent to the road, where there was a wall that the young bird would have been unable to scale.
However, no sooner did I move to catch the bird than did the two adults make themselves known in the tree on the other side of the road. I therefore quickly moved the juvenile to reduce the impact, but the adults started to dive bomb and drop poo bombs on me. 
Needless to say, the baby was fine, and started calling as soon as I got it, which is probably what alerted the parents. The young bird seemed fine when I put it in the field and the parents were in attendance so it should be fine. It will certainly be a lot safer in the field than in the middle of the road,

No comments:

Post a Comment