Wednesday 12 November 2014

Rother Valley CP twitching Grey Phalarope

Suppressed for 4 days, then announced, this Grey Phalarope was a bird I really wanted to get to grips with given my last one had been so far away. Lectures restricted my availability but since today my first lecture was not until 12 I decided to go for the bird at first light, hopefully see it and then get back for lectures.
I arrived on site just as it was getting light, picking up good numbers of Blackbirds and a single Fieldfare. On the river on the walk up to the spot where the bird was last reported I had a pair of Goldeneye and a Grey Heron. In the woods there were also a few Bullfinch and a lone Grey Wagtail went overhead.
It took a while to find the spot where the bird was last reported as viewing it proved a challenge so far as I could find. I did get to check most of the banking prior to this and as a result had good numbers of Cormorant and Teal, as well as a few Lapwing and a solitary Pochard.
When I eventually found a viewing spot I flushed good wildfowl including Gadwall, Wigeon and a Great-Crested Grebe. Alas though no grey phalarope. I waited for about half an hour at the location but it did not appear, even when 2 other birders came to have a look. There was a lovely appearance from a Kingfisher tough, that graced us with its presence for about a minuet.
Once I had safely established in my mind that the bird was not here, or at least not in this location, I headed back round for a scout of the rest of the lake. I could not find it but did get 2 Goosanders which are my first of the autumn.
And that was that. I decided to head off to lectures since it looked like the bird had gone. So far it has not been reported today so I am assuming that it really has gone and not because of my lack of birding ability.

Species List:
RVCP Meadowgate lake: Goldcrest, Lapwing, Goldeneye, Great-Crested Grebe, Bullfinch, Fieldfare, Jay, Cormorant, Greater-Spotted Woodpecker, Grey Wagtail, Long-Tailed Tit, Pochard, Grey Heron, Kingfisher, Goldfinch, Goosander, Magpie, Mallard, Common Teal, Wigeon, Reed Bunting, Blackbird, Robin, Wren, Canada Goose, Woodpigeon, Carrion Crow,

No comments:

Post a Comment