Sunday 12 April 2015

Rother Valley CP

Having seen the forcast for Sunday, heavy rain, and that public transport is also dreadful I had no major intentions for birding today. It was also a friends birthday on the Saturday night, and without any plans I may have drunk a little too much.
Imagine then my horror when I check my phone at 10.00 to see a Bee Eater at Rother Valley CP. I staggered out of bed, raced around sorting stuff out, checked tram times, one in 10 mins, then pegged it all the way down to the tram stop, all while still drunk.
Reports on the bird were few and far between and there had been no report since 9.35 when it had returned following it departing. However, I arrived on site and eventually found the birders to find out that it had not been seen since that report. So here I was, feeling rotten, on a excessively windy day not watching the bird I had come to watch.
There were good numbers of Hirundines though, mainly Swallows but I did pick out my first House Martins of the year which was some bonus. I managed a few photos but the camera had been left on since I last used it and as a result I only risked a couple of record shots.
-House Martin
Granted, I was in no real fit state to enjoy any birding so after a quick check post the negative news I decided it might be worth my while just heading home. Like I said, the wind was very excessive and was blowing the water from the lake all over the path. For the sake of novelty I took a few photos of the Mallards that were grazing by the side of the lake, frequently getting splashed by waves.
-Mallard
So that was that! No bee eater but I did get my first House Martin of the year as consolation. Granted, I did not really look round but I probably now feel the better for it!

Species List:
Rother Valley CP: Swallow, House Martin, Coot, Mute Swan, Graylag Goose, Mallard, Canada Goose, Common Buzzard, Robin, Pied Wagtail, Carrion Crow, Woodpigeon,

No comments:

Post a Comment