Tuesday 23 June 2015

Soil Hill

First day back on the hill today, so I was hopeful for something a bit different to have happened during my time away. There was Himalayan Bolsom growing on the verge going up, which I don 't recall being there before.
As I passed the small group of trees at the base of the track-way I thought I could hear Goldcrest calling, which would be a remarkable patch tick, so set up to get wait to see if I could confirm my suspicions. I was pleased after a wait of around 20 mins that I got decent views of a Goldcrest feeding among the pine needles. However, I was unable to get a photo, so I decided to wait a longer to try and get a photo of this patch tick.
As I waited I gained another patch tick, though this one a little less unexpected, in the form of 2 juvenile Coal Tits that were flitting around the pines. These I was able to get a record shot of, and I was pretty pleased with my effort.
-Coal Tit
The Coal Tits sat out for a bit, and they were more than obliging while I was waiting. The Goldcrest made another fleeting visit, but I failed to have my camera ready and I missed my chance to grab a record shot, so cue more waiting!
Its a good thing I did too, as I got my most remarkable record for the site I have ever got. Another bird landed on a horizontal branch, which was so obvious but so unexpected, Nuthatch! I could not believe what I was seeing, but sadly only managed one, very obscured record shot. I was thrilled at seeing this, a real patch MEGA. If I had not spent so long looking at the patch of trees I would never had known it was there, which makes you wonder what other goodies are lurking in there. The Nuthatch flitted for around 30 seconds before it dropped back into the wood never to be seen again.
-Nuthatch
I was buzzing after seeing that, and nothing could really top it. And nothing did! The top was pretty quiet all in all. I spotted a couple of Roe Deer down the north face, though at the time I could only see one, but looking at there photos I spotted the ears of a second 
-Roe Deer
Its a thrilling return to the patch with numerous patch ticks, and the Nuthatch being an exceptional addition to the Soil Hill list. What an afternoon, you don't get many like that up there.

Species List:
Soil Hill: Swift, Carrion Crow, Meadow Pipit, Linnet, Blackbird, Dunnock, Chaffinch, Goldcrest, Coal Tit, Swallow, Woodpigeon, Feral Pigeon, Nuthatch, Skylark, Starling, Swift, Lesser Black-Backed Gull, Moorhen, Kestrel, Magpie, Great Tit, Pied Wagtail,

No comments:

Post a Comment