Friday 1 April 2016

Bradshaw

Last night when it was fairly late evening I received a text from Brian about a Ring-necked Parakeet in Bradshaw. Not long after and I was off to hopefully track the bird down but alas I failed, the bird presumably gone off to roost.
I considered that to be that really and when I went down for a look this morning I did not expect it to still be there, and after 10mins wait in a fairly chilly breeze my expectations had not increase. I was at the point of leaving when, to my relief, I heard the bird call and the picked it up in one of the trees behind the four-seasons flats.
It was initially distant but soon came closer, allowing a chance at some photos of this local rarity. It was tragic in a way, as the bird was quickly drawn to its reflection in one of the windows, which it obviously presumed was another of its species given the way it tried to interact with it. For a social species to be on its own like this must be difficult, despite the presence of a good food supply.
I got to watch it for about half an hour before it moved out of sight behind some trees, although it will be back there during the day I am sure. Congrats to John Little for finding this local Mega, what a superb bird.
-Ring-necked Parakeet
Species List:
Bradshaw: House Sparrow, Collard Dove, Starling, Goldfinch, Ring-necked Parakeet, Linnet, Woodpigeon, Blackbird, Jackdaw, Woodpigeon, Carrion Crow, Canada Goose, Chaffinch, 

2 comments:

  1. Glad you got it Daniel. Nice sharp pics of a cracking bird and a first for this area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one Daniel!!
    Glad you got it this morning.
    John

    ReplyDelete