Friday 20 May 2016

Blacktoft Sands RSPB

With nothing else on the cards I decided to go and get the Monties at Blacktoft for my yearlist. That plan failed as the bird did not show in the two hours I waited. The staff member present said it had been seen up river and there had flown south, maybe she had given up waiting for the male. Either way, I diddnt see it...
Birds I did see more than made up for it though. The Bittern put on quite a show, more so that the photo would suggest. Through the scope I got great views, but was more content to watch it rather than photograph it. I at least have a record shot for the year now...
-Bittern
There were so many Bearded Tits. Obviously this is the site where they are well known, but in the past I have hardly seen any. Today they were flying everywhere. Whilst scanning the reedbed they would frequently fly across the view. A Cuckoo flew close past the hide, and a Peregrine flew over. But perhaps the best bird was a self found Hobby. Sadly it did not come close and I quickly lost it, although other birders were able to stay on it for much longer. Overall a very enjoyable days birding despite the obvious miss. 
Species List:
Blacktoft Sands RSPB: Bittern, Bearded Tit, Swift, Tufted Duck, Little Grebe, Great-crested Grebe, Greylag Goose, Shelduck, Woodpigeon, Little Egret, Black-headed Gull, Herring Gull, Sedge Warbler, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Marsh Harrier, Gadwall, Coot, Reed Bunting, Avocet, Mallard, Tree Sparrow, Cuckoo, Grey Heron, Pochard, Mute Swan, Peregrine, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Stock Dove, Jackdaw, Hobby, Cormorant, Sparrowhawk,

No comments:

Post a Comment