Friday 7 April 2017

Lincolnshire surveying Grey Partirdge

I spent the last week surveying arable farms across Lincolnshire. I did four farms with the main target species being Grey Partridge. I was super excited for it and had a great week with plenty of Partridge, both Grey and Red-legged seen. A host of other birds also played a part, with really good numbers of Yellowhammer, cracking views of Red Kite and Buzzard, Barn Owl. I also got my first migrant species of the year; Willow Warbler, Blackcap and Chiffchaff were all common in the woods around the farms, with all three species in song. I heard my first Swallow of the year twittering but I was unable to see it.
The highlights of the week were really obvious to me. First of all was an Osprey that flew low over us whilst we were having a meeting before the week surveying. I did not have my camera on me at the time, which was a real shame given the views we got. And the other highlight was a small colony of 4 singing Corn Buntings I encountered at one of the farms. Obviously its a species you hope for on farms like this but there was so little talk about them before the surveys I presumed they were not in the area. I was pleased to find out that I was wrong. 
-Corn Bunting

Species List:
Lincolnshire Farms: Corn Bunting, Linnet, Tree Sparrow, House Sparrow, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Bullfinch, Yellowhammer, Reed Bunting, Meadow Pipit, Skylark, Starling, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Lapwing, Oystercatcher, Common Snipe, Pheasant, Grey Partridge, Red-legged Partridge, Osprey, Common Buzzard, Red Kite, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Barn Owl, Robin, Wren, Fieldfare, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush, Dunnock, Green Woodpecker, Great-spotted Woodpecker, Woodpigeon, Stock Dove, Collard Dove, Blackcap, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Mallard, Tufted Duck, Canada Goose, Greylag Goose, Grey Heron, Little Egret, Rook, Jackdaw, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Raven, 

No comments:

Post a Comment