Sunday 12 January 2020

Prestwick Carr twitching Eastern Yellow Wagtail

It was something of a detour from my commute to work, but I thought I would spent the day with the Eastern Yellow Wagtail in Northumberland. It added an extra hour and a half onto my journey but to otherwise see the bird would involve a six hour round trip, so I decided that it would be worth it for what was a world tick
I arrived on site late morning in sunny conditions but with a piercing cold wind. The field where the bird had been present was full of pied wagtails but scanning through them yeilded nothing. It was only when I took my eyes off my scope that I could see the bird pottering about basically at my feet. This was its pattern of behaviour for the next hour, although it did also spend some time at the back of the field out of sight.
As a consquence of the wind I only heard the bird call a handful of times, but it was certainly distinctive to Western Yellow Wagtails that I was familiar with. The plumage was more buff than the grey I was expecting and there was a hint of yellow coming through between the legs of the bird. It was certainly a rather striking individual.
-Eastern Yellow Wagtail

Species List:
Prestwick Carr: Common Wood Pigeon, Northern Lapwing, Black-headed Gull, Western Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Eurasian Blue Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Goldcrest, Eurasian Wren, Common Starling, Common Blackbird, European Robin, Eastern Yellow Wagtail, White Wagtail, Meadow Pipit, Common Chaffinch,

No comments:

Post a Comment