Monday 10 February 2020

Redcar Tarn twitching Iceland Gull

Having first heard about the it not long after my arrival to Germany, the Iceland Gull less than half an hours drive from my house was a frustrating bird to say the least. Every day I checked to see if it was still being seen, and when it still present after storm Ciara I made it my priority as soon as I got back earlier today.
I turned up at the site mid afternoon after enduring a morning of train carnage, to the find the Iceland Gull immediately flying over the Tarn. A little bread persuasion and the bird came extremely close, showing incredibly well and finally allowing me to appreciate this species after only one previous sighting for me, in near darkness through a scope on the far side of a lake. This was an altogether different experience. 
The Caspian Gull that had been frequenting the site also made an appearance, although it was not as persuaded by the bread. It remained distant for much for the time I was there but once the hail set in it did come closer. At one point point both birds were sat on the water together.
-Iceland Gull
-Caspian Gull

Species List:
Redcar Tarn: Canada Goose, Mallard, Tufted Duck, Goosander, Common Woodpigeon, Coot, Black-headed Gull, Common Gull, European Herring Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Caspian Gull, Iceland Gull, Western Jackdaw, Rook, Carrion Crow, Common Starling, 

No comments:

Post a Comment