Wednesday 15 April 2020

Soil Hill; Isolation week 3

Spring continued to arrive on Soil Hill, and as a result this week was perhaps the best weeks birding I have ever had here, although since being at Spurn and travelling/working I have had little chance to do such consistant patching. That said, some of the birds enjoyed in a remarkable run really have been unprecedented. 

11 April
Visit from 07.30. Total 48 species observed.
This has to be the best days birding I have ever had on Soil Hill. To start, 48 species is my highest ever total for a single visit here. Things were fairly standard for the first half of the visit, all the regulars still on their territories and the gulley was fairly uneventful. A drake Goosander flew off Ogden, and that was probably the best (Only my second seen here).
I began working the tree line down to the NK pond and here things started to get interesting. There was a very distinctive tacking noise coming from the bushes, which could only mean one thing. And there it was, a female Ring Ouzel, my first of the year. Sadly it did not sit long before it was flushed by another bird. The previous days Wheatears had now increased to six, including two stunning males.
Pretty chuffed with the morning I made my way back up to the top. Aware I was on a high species list, I decided to try again around the gulley to see if any Swallows were hunting over the fields (There was one). A bird flew over and me and vanished over the top. The impression it gave was Nuthatch, but I did not believe there would ever be another after the remarkable 2015 bird. Still, I raced to catch up with it, and there sat right at the top of a stubby tree was a Nuthatch. I was stunned. It sat for a few minutes, calling, before flying off. A remarkable occurance. 
At this point I was buzzing at what an outstanding morning it had been. But the best was still to come. I was walking past the stone circle field when I spotted two large birds soaring over Ogden plantation. The first bird was obviously a LBBG but the second was puzzling me a bit more. The way it was holding its wings reminded me of Marsh Harrier but I thought more likely it would be a young gull. However, I was wrong! The pair drifted towards the hill circling the whole time and as it got closer I could make out the cream crown on the bird, a stunning Cream-crowned Marsh Harrier. It then flew right overhead before heading northwards. 
And then, to finish the day off right, another Ring Ouzel flew over Taylor Lane high. 
-Ring Ouzel
-Northern Wheatear
-Nuthatch
-Marsh Harrier

12 April
Visit from 09.00. Total 40 species observed. 
I treated myself to a small lie-in after yesterdays success. Todays visit was less remarkable but there was still good birding to be had. The highlight was another Ring Ouzel in the fields off Taylor Lane, although very distant. 
Willow Wablers numbers now up to 8, first Whitethroat back and a single Wheatear still lingering. 
-Ring Ouzel

13 April
Visit from 13.00. Total 29 species observed.
Cold and windy conditions made me decide on an afternoon visit, hopefully to coincide with some raptors. After the last few days success, there was unlikely to be anything notable today...
Wrong! Although the hill was fairly quiet with no raptors to speak of, I flushed a smart Grasshopper Warbler at the top of the north slope tree line. The bird sat somewhat as well, rather than vanishing into the scrub, which made for a few photo opportunities. This is only my second time seeing this species here. 
-Grasshopper Warbler

14 April
Visit from 06.30. Total 39 species observed
I think my spring might have peaked today! 
It was a fairly standard spring visit, with a particularly showy Willow Warbler the highlight. No wheatears at all, so decided that it probably was not a good day for migrants. Went about counting the bottom field waders as usual but one Curlew drew my attention. I only had my bins on me, and the bird was distant so decided to grab a photo and zoom in. It did nothing to dispell my suspicions, only seemed to confirm them. I decided to take a risk and jumped the fence to get closer. On closer inspection there was no denying it. Whimbrel! I grabbed a few photos and then rushed back to observe. A really unexpected Hill addition and probably the best bird I have found there in my time. What a day.
-Willow Warbler
-Whimbrel

15 April
Visit from 06.30. Total 46 species observed
Another remarkable day on the hill, although nothing to the standard of Whimbrel. It was fairly standard until I found two Wheatears at the bottom of the north slope. Clearly these were new birds, and the female especially was very showy. 
With birds new in, despite there being nothing earlier, I decided to check the gulley again and was rewarded with an absolutely spanking male Ring Ouzel. He even showed well at one point, although all too breif. Another bird was calling as well, but I could not find it. Two more Ring Ouzels brings my spring total of this species up to 5!
At the far end of the gulley I also found a pair of Stonechat which showed very nicely. 
-Northern Wheatear
-Ring Ouzel
-European Stonechat

16 April
Visit from 06.30. Total 43 species observed
Walk started nicely with Ring Ouzel in a field off Taylor Lane. Was in exact same area as bird on the 12th so possibly the same bird, although I have not seen it in between.
Peregrine flyover was a nice highlight, as was my first reeling Grasshopper Warbler of the year. Following the song I picked up the bird perched in the sedges, showing rather nicely.
Usual contingent of Willow Warblers and single Whitethroat. At least four Snipes present in the bottom fields, three in the air displaying at the same time.
-Peregrine
-Grasshopper Warbler

17 April
Visit from 06.45. Total 36 species observed.
The weather changed from the glorious warm mornings of late, instead the hill was shrouded by low cloud and a biting cold wind. I expected much less diversity as a result but was pleasantly surprised, although there was nothing particularly notable. The previous days Grasshopper Warbler was still reeling, although from a different location, and that was the standout.

Species List:
Soil Hill: Canada Goose, Mallard, Goosander, Red-legged Partridge, Common Pheasant, Feral Pigeon, Stock Dove, Common Woodpigeon, Eurasian Collared Dove, Common Moorhen, Eurasian Oystercatcher, Northern Lapwing, Whimbrel, Eurasian Curlew, Common Snipe, Black-headed Gull, European Herring Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Great Cormorant, Grey Heron, Western Marsh Harrier, Eurasian Sparrowhawk, Little Owl, Tawny Owl, Long-eared Owl, Common Kestrel, Peregrine Falcon, Eurasian Jay, Eurasian Magpie, Western Jackdaw, Rook, Carrion Crow, Coal Tit, Eurasian Blue Tit, Great Tit, Eurasian Skylark, Common Grasshopper Warbler, Barn Swallow, Willow Warbler, Common Whitethroat, Goldcrest, Eurasian Nuthatch, Eurasian Wren, Common Starling, Mistle Thrush, Song Thrush, Common Blackbird, Ring Ouzel, European Robin, European Stonechat, Northern Wheatear, Dunnock, House Sparrow, Pied Wagtail, Meadow Pipit, Common Chaffinch, European Greenfinch, Common Linnet, European Goldfinch, Common Reed Bunting, Red Fox, Stoat, Western Roe Deer, European Rabbit, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock, 

1 comment: