Friday 7 August 2020

Soil Hill; Isolation week 19

I'm gonna revert to my spring style of weekly update because this has been an excellent weeks birding with quite a few highlights, notably two Patch Ticks and a good number of August migrants to make up the supporting cast. After whats felt like a long summer on the Hill the winds of Autumn seem to finally be blowing in...

01st August
Visit from 06.30. Total 39 species observed.
Was a pretty dull and uneventful day, but with one outstanding highlight to really kick August off in style. Whilst birding on Ned Hill Track I heard a distinct call distantly; Green Sandpiper. As I coudn't hear the bird getting closer I began to wonder if it was going to pass me by but then it appeared over the brow of the hill allowing me to grab a few shots before it passed behind the trees on its way south. An excellent patch tick and one of the highlights of the year for me here so far. 
Other notable birds included both Sedge Warblers, a smart juv Stonechat and a reeling Grasshopper Warbler
-Green Sandpiper
02nd August
Visit from 07.00. Total 40 species observed. 
August continued on the strong streak on which it had begun. A cracking Marsh Harrier flew south over Soil Hill, initially strongly but then slowly soaring offering much better views. This is only my third here, though all this year, and first this Autumn. Otherwise there was little else to report. 
-Marsh Harrier
03rd August
Visit from 06.45. Total 40 species observed
There was a small arrival of migrants this morning, notably of Willow Warblers with eleven in the various bushes dotted around the Hill. A Tree Pipit flew over calling, the Grasshopper Warbler was still singing and there were three Stonechat at the bottom of the North Slope, including a spanking adult male. The standout bird was a flyby Great Spotted Woodpecker, capping off a very pleasant morning. 

04th August
Visit from 07.15. Total 36 species observed.
Another steady day with the days Willow Warbler total peaking at 7, with other migrants thin on the ground. A Green Woodpecker was calling from down in Bradshaw and I counted 14 Mistle Thrush in the recently mowed fields, but otherwise little change. 

05th August
Visit from 18.30. Total 33 species observed.
The wind and rain absolutely battered the pennines today, so I waited until the evening for my visit so that I could at least check out the sheltered areas at the bottom of the North Slope. As expected activity was very low, but there were the three Stonechat still present there, as well as a smart male Blackcap feasting on the abundant brambles. 

07th August
Visit from 07.00. Total 46 species observed. 
This will go down as one of the best days birding I have ever enjoyed on Soil Hill. After the wind and rain of the previous day I was unsure what sort of birding I would get, but when the first bird I clapped eyes on was a brilliant patch tick I sensed it could be an awesome morning. 
When I spotted the Pied Flycatcher on the wires next to Taylor Lane my initial thoughts were something along the lines of 'what a weird looking Chaffinch' but I swiftly realised what I was looking, a seriously good grounded migrant. Although it was against the light and generally spent its time atop the Sycamore it had chosen for the day, a few people saw it during the day and I was able to grab a few nice record shots. A fantastic start to the day.
Next I worked my way up to the top, with Willow Warblers clearly having arrived overnight. By the end of my walk I counted 19 individuals (6 Taylor Lane, 8 Summit Bushes, 3 North Slope, 2 Ned Hill Track). The best location was the bushes at the top of the North Slope which had most of the Willow Warblers, plus two grounded Tree Pipits, a Sedge Warbler, Whitethroats and Reed Buntings. Blackcap, Stonechat and the usual Grasshopper Warbler were fine migrant additions on the North Slope. A Great Spotted Woodpecker also took off from the trees at the top of the North Slope, presumably the same bird from a couple of days previous. 
And to cap it all off a Cormorant flew over as I was walking back home. 
-Pied Flycatcher
-Tree Pipit
-Willow Warbler

07th August
Visit from 06.45. Total 43 species observed
Although a comedown from yesterday it was another brilliant mornings birding by Soil Hill standards. Willow Warblers were reduced to 11 today (2 Taylor Lane, 2 Summit, 5 North Slope, 2 Ned Hill Track) with most of the other migrants gone. A Tree Pipit flew south and then U-turned back north, calling loudly, and my first Wheatear of August also arrived today. In addition I saw two Sedge Warblers, which seem to have now set up in the brambles at the top of the North Slope. Three House Martins that flew south were also my first here for a while.

Species List:
Soil Hill: Canada Goose, Mallard, Common Pheasant, Feral Pigeon, Stock Dove, Common Wood Pigeon, Eurasian Collared Dove, Common Swift, Common Moorhen, Eurasian Curlew, Green Sandpiper, Black-headed Gull, Common Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, European Herring Gull, Great Cormorant, Eurasian Sparrowhawk, Western Marsh Harrier, Little Owl, Green Woodpecker, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Common Kestrel, Eurasian Magpie, Western Jackdaw, Rook, Carrion Crow, Coal Tit, Eurasian Blue Tit, Great Tit, Eurasian Skylark, Sedge Warbler, Common Grasshopper Warbler, Barn Swallow, Western House Martin, Willow Warbler, Eurasian Blackcap, Common Whitethroat, Eurasian Wren, Common Starling, Mistle Thrush, Common Blackbird, European Robin, Northern Wheatear, European Pied Flycatcher, European Stonechat, Dunnock, House Sparrow, Pied Wagtail, Meadow Pipit, Tree Pipit, Common Chaffinch, Eurasian Bullfinch, European Greenfinch, Common Linnet, European Goldfinch, Common Reed Bunting, Western Roe Deer, European Rabbit, Eastern Grey Squirrel,

No comments:

Post a Comment