Friday 27 January 2023

Malawi; Day 1 - Arrival & travel to Dzalanyama Forest Reserve

  So begins the next adventure, leaving the delights of Brazil for the relative obscurity of Malawi. This small African country had long been on the agenda for a friend of mine, Max Baumgarten, a former colleague from Germany, so when we asked if I was interested I jumped at the chance. African birding is not something I have much experience with, but seeing new species, as well as a healthy dose of Palearctic migrants is something I would never turn down. 

  I left Sao Paulo on the evening of the 26th flying with Ethiopian Airlines to Addis Ababa. I then had to stay overnight in the airport before my flight to Lilongwe in Malawi the following morning. However, this was not a complete loss as I was able to use the time somewhat productively, and when the sun arose in the morning I was able to notch up one of the Ethiopian endemics that live around the airport; White-collared Pigeon. There were also other new pigeons for me with Speckled Pigeon and Dusky Turtle Dove. 

  I eventually arrived in Malawi around midday and once Max had joined me and we had sorted logistics with cash, SIM card and the hire car, it was already mid-afternoon. We started the two-hour drive to our first site, the Dzalanyama Forest Lodge. Unfortunately, we got lost multiple times on the labyrinth of dirt roads required to reach the forest, and it was well after dark by the time we arrived. This was not a complete loss as we had a nice Fiery-necked Nightjar perched on the road near one of the villages we passed through. 

-White-collared Pigeon
-Fiery-necked Nightjar

Species List:
Addis Ababa Airport: Speckled Pigeon, White-collared Pigeon, Dusky Turtle Dove, Black Kite, Pied Crow, Pale Crag Martin,
Dzalanyama Forest: Fiery-necked Nightjar,

No comments:

Post a Comment