Sunday 18 February 2024

New Zealand; Day 1 - Arrival & Arthur's Pass National Park

  As one trip ends so another begins. Since I was already halfway there, I decided that after Thailand I would continue, alone, to New Zealand for a few weeks to visit an old university housemate who had moved out here, and spend some time also trying to see as much of the wildlife as I could. Despite being half way there, it was still a nine-hour flight to Sydney from Bangkok, followed by a three hour wait and a two-and-a-half hour flight to Christchurch before I finally arrived. Once arrived and through passport control, my tent and boots had to be checked for biosecurity, with the tent requiring a cleaning before I could continue.

  With the car then collected, I was able get on my way, driving the 90 minutes to the Hawdon Valley in the Arthur's Pass National Park where I would start my New Zealand adventure. Along the way I saw many common European species introduced by the settlers, and a few Australian Magpies as well, just for good measure. I managed to arrive in Hawdon in reasonable time, and once I put my tent up I had a walk around but only found Song Thrush and Yellowhammer. Still, the location was spectacular, and the stillness of the environment made it a wonderful location to camp in. 

Species List:
Hawdon Valley: Song Thrush, Yellowhammer,

No comments:

Post a Comment