Monday, 14 September 2026

Wilgottheim

     This weekend I found myself back in Lauras parents village of Wilgottheim, about half an hours drive from the city of Strasbourg on the French-German border. Situated between the two ranges of the Vosges mountains, nearby VizMig watchpoints have produced some genuinely incredible counts of migrating birds, but I have never had the chance to be in the area during the autumn… until now!

  Thus I spent the weekend getting up early and exploring the hill behind the village, checking the trees and bushes there for grounded migrants and hoping for good numbers of birds flying over. Overhead it turned out was fairly quiet, with very little of note in terms of numbers besides double-figure counts of both Tree Pipit and Yellow Wagtail, although there were also many grounded birds confusing the overall total. I couldn’t wait around too long, but in the two hours I explored the area during the mornings it was pretty clear that no significant movement of birds was taking place.

  In the bushes it was excellent, with regularly Pied Flycatchers, Common Redstarts and Spotted Flycatchers, bulked out by the usual good counts of Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs, with the occasional Willow Warbler also thrown in. There was also a single Whinchat and Wheatear, two species I had not yet found in my explorations around Paris.

  In addition to the migrant birds, it was also a surprise to find both Middle Spotted and Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers here. While there are larger trees, it is hardly a wooded environment and I did not expect to find these birds here. The Lesser Spotted Woodpecker especially showed very nicely! 

-Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
-Tree Pipit & Common Chiffchaff
-Spotted Flycatcher
-Common Redstart
-Pied Flycatcher

No comments:

Post a Comment