Wednesday 31 March 2010

derbyshire holiday ;day 4 (wednesday)

can you beleive it, its still raining!!!!
the campsite was deserted (all wildlife found the rain too much)
hoever some carful watching produced:
a nuthatch
dabchick
robin
heron
and good old limpy, the green phesant
we decided to go for a miserable and wet woodland walk, a walk which has, in the past, had beauties like slow worm and really tame dippers. however all we saw today:
dipper (whizz past me)
fish
woodpigeon
magpie
great tit
my mum lost here temper, i got lost. it was all a huge fail. however my dad took us out for tea at thew local pub becuase we had been so brave.
before that me and my dad went for a wlak in chatsworth grounds.
a good view of a song thrush
a buzzard
a long tailed tit
three races of pheasnt-ring-necked, non-ringed and a caucasian/green pheasnt (not limpy!!) plus a coal tit
after that splendid meal at the pub we went back to the campsite. we put out plenty of peanuts and then me and my dad went to go and see if we could see a water vole, (my dad has never seen one) we watched from the bridge but then i went to the place where i had originally seen it. sure enough i spotted it and watched as it entered some branches. i called my dad over to have a look. as we watched though i noticed a small brown mass on the bank, the cheeky monkey had got out of the water and on the bank without me noticing!!!!. we texted my mum and brother and so we watched it. as we headed back we spotted another on the bank. further up. they are as common as rats once you know what to look for.


after that me and my dad went to go and wait for the badger. it started toi rain. it got colder and colder until after an hour my dad said, "i have had enough, i'm going in" thus i sat and waited alone in the cold and wet. my dad should not have gone. another fifteen minuets and out he came, munching on penuts. i texted my mum and family and they came. itried some pictures but the light was too low. so my dad went for a torch. however when he came back the badger had already gone. my parents left me and my brother (i still wnated a photo) and went back. i told my brother how the badger only ever comes out when your just giving in. after another half an hour i said tomy brother "i have had enough, i can not be bothered" right on que the striped face re-appeared and started rummaging in the flower bed. my brother held the torch whilst i took loads of pictures. the best ones are displayed below but for the overall experience-i was about 20cm away from a wild badger!!!!!












No comments:

Post a Comment