Thursday 2 September 2010

bank holiday monday at wycolle (or spelt similar)

a day at somewhere local where there weren't any people was my dads description of a suitable place to go today. we settled on wycolle which is a quintessential village settle nicely in a river valley, surrounded by woods except as soon as you leave the river banks you are in the vast expanse of the west Yorkshire moors.

At first we decided to go to the cafe for something to drink and I was in luck because this cafe sold IRN BRU which is a great relief as not many people do! Then a young robin, or possibly a robin just out of moult, came and joined us. it actually came and sat on the table whilst we were still there. Here it is eating some crumbs from my mums scone.


a walk up the river produced very little except for a few grey wagtails and mallards in the duck pond. after that we went onto the surrounding Fields and moors, and since it was so sunny we decided to sit and relax by this tree which was situated in brilliant photographic scenery!
Whilst my family relaxed I went grasshopper hunting and found yet more rufous grasshoppers. I was right about being able to identify them by their call and I managed to prove it today which I was thrilled about!
I didn't take any photos of rufous but some of what are probably normal Field grasshoppers.

My dad says that we are quite likely to return here earlier in the season which will hopefully be much more productive in the way of bird life!

No comments:

Post a Comment