Tuesday 31 August 2010

ogden reservoir-in pendle country

For a lack of anything to do today we went to pendle country for a walk. when we got there we decided that we would walk to Ogden reservoir high in the moors. Bird life was, rather sadly, quite poor but I did manage to find some goldfinches feeding on some thistles.

Luckily I managed to find a butterfly That I had been seeking for some time now, wall brown. I have needed a photo of these to help complete my butterfly photo collection. They used to come into the garden occasionally but since I realised I have needed a photo, As so often happens, the wretched things disappear, just like magpies. Luckily, wall browns are much nicer than magpies and this one sat sunbathing for me to take some photos, although it flew away pretty swiftly!



Halfway round the reser My dad noticed a thistle that was covered in moths. Although they are rather shabby compared to the ones we trap, you can clearly see that these are antler moths, turning into rather a local speciality.







And as you can see, there were an awful lot of them. From what I know, I would not say that these were day flying moths so what they were doing risking and appearance here quite beggars belief.


overall quite a poor day but catching the wll brown before the season ends was a big bonus, leaving only orange tip to get of the species that I have seen, and their season is already well over. I could also do with brimstone, painted lady and holly blue photos seeing as those I already have are quite poor. But thats really the point of record shots, for them to be rubbish!

No comments:

Post a Comment