Thursday 27 March 2014

And again at Orgreave

I decided to go today after lectures to see what was about and to try and pull up the numbers ahead of Mondays crunch. The walk was pretty unsuccessful. There were plenty of birds including many nice things but the weather set in soon after I arrived, with sleeting hail and I was not prepped for it. In fact I was not prepped for anything other than sunny weather. However once it cleared up things started to take a turn for the better.
I bumped into another birder also there and we had a chat about the site. While we were chatting I spotted a Sand Martin fly over the lake, 94, though it was a brief view. He then found a flock of 74 Golden Plover on the 'plains'. How he managed this I don't know, since I had wandered all across the plains about 5 mins before and they were deffo not their then, but they had not flown in. We moved closer, to the top of the mound and I managed to get some record shots.
-Golden Plover
The plover were coming into summer plumage which surprised me but did mean that they looked absolutely stunning. That would be 95
On the lake there were good numbers of wildfowl, and also Great Crested and Little Grebe, the latter being quite scarce at the site. That was nice. There were good numbers of Gadwall, Wigeon and Goosander, as well as Tufteds and Mallards.
-Goosander
So that's a brief overview of the days birding. It was spoilt by the weather but it came good in the end. Follows is a concise list of all the days sightings:

Sightings: Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Feral Pigeon, Woodpigeon, Gadwall, Tufted Duck, Skylark, Meadow Pipit, Linnet, Cormorant, Common Teal, Goosander, Moorhen, Coot, Lapwing, Golden Plover, Redshank, Little Ringed Plover (Briefly), Wheatear, Oystercatcher, Mute Swan, Mallard, Graylag Goose, Canada Goose, Starlings, Black-Headed Gull, Lesser Black-Backed Gull, Sand Martin, Great Crested Grebe, Little Grebe, Pied Wagtail, Reed Bunting,

No comments:

Post a Comment