Friday 25 April 2014

Orgreave Lakes

I got back to the flat at 3 that this afternoon, maybe intending to take the afternoon lightly, work on my essay kind of thing. When I checked birdguides every single site I have ever visited while at uni had seen arctic terns go through, including Orgreave. Their terns were at 7.00 in the morning though. However since I had time I decided to go for it, just in case.
They were not there. The highlights for my trip were Ringed Plover on the near shoreline which was lovely to see, but the real highlight was the sheer number of hirundines that were all over the lake, of all 3 species. Whats more is that they were coming very close, so I got incredible views.
-Ringed Plover
-Hirundines
I would like to say they were ample compensation for missing out on the terns but it did not feel like that at the time. I seemed to be destined to miss out on this influx...

Species List:
Orgreave Lakes: Linnet, Skylark, Woodpigeon, Sand Martin, House Martin, Swallow, Canada Goose, Graylag Goose, Mallard, Jay, Great Crested Grebe, Ringed Plover, Lapwing, Wheatear, Gadwall, Pied Wagtail, Coot, Lesser Black-Backed Gull, Black-Headed Gull, Tufted Duck, Meadow Pipit, Carrion Crow, Mute Swan,

No comments:

Post a Comment