Monday 28 April 2014

Padley Gorge NT

I may have started lectures, but education does not come between a man and his birds. With that in mind after my one 9.00 lecture I decided to head into the peaks to Padley Gorge again. The weather was also with me, very warm and sunny making it a very pleasant day out.
Apparently when we arrived a cuckoo flew over us, or so I was later informed by another birder, isn't that just my luck. However, we soon found some pretty cool stuff, namely 2 Common Lizards which I managed to get a record shot of.
-Common Lizard
The birder had also given me a pretty acurate description of where to find a singing tree pipit, the bird I really wanted to see. I managed to track down the pipit, though sadly it did not sing, but there were a few of them about, as well as a couple of stonechat, though they were quite distant.
-Tree Pipit
Next we headed down to where the pied flys were, and they did not disappoint. The first spot was a bit barren, only one female of which views were fleeting but further down we stumbled across a pair using a nest box right next to the path. As a result we were able to get some great views and I was able to get some great photos of the birds.
-Female Pied Flycatcher
-Male Pied Flycatcher
The walk was shorter than it had been before, as it only took us about 2 hours. As a result we were unable to find as many species as I had before, and the only view of a redstart was a very distant view through much shrubbery. We did see one though so it was nice, as well as Greater Spotted Woodpecker and Grey Wagtail.

Species List:
Padley Gorge NT: Pied Wagtail, Rook, Meadow Pipit, Carrion Crow, Willow Warbler, Chaffinch, Swallow, Stonechat, Kestrel, Tree Pipit, Blue Tit, Pied Flycatcher, Treecreeper, Greater Spotted Woodpecker, Nuthatch, Wren, Redstart, Mallard, Grey Wagtail, Sparrowhawk

No comments:

Post a Comment