Tuesday 17 June 2014

Orgreave Lakes

So after yesterdays excursions left me exhausted I decided to head off to my local patch for a short birding session to see what was about. I headed over early afternoon to Orgreave since no records had come in for some time.
As soon as I arrived I managed some patch ticks with a Great Spotted Woodpecker on one of the telegraph posts, and a male Bullfinch in the trees next to the river. There was also Whitethroat and Willow Warbler in the trees. The first lake was pretty quiet, with only usual suspects, but there were some excellent views of Swifts.
On the far side near the edge of the main lake there were a few more birds, including a pair of Lapwings, which obviously had chicks nearby because they were very agitated while I was there, so I made sure I did not stay long. There was also a Little-Ringed Plover on the bank at the back, which I tried to digiscope but I could not hold it steady and so could not get any photos.
-Lapwing
Along the edge of the lake there were 3 more Little Ringed Plovers, which I got great views of through the scope, but also a pair of Redshank. On the way round I also picked up a family of Grey Wagtails, as well as a small party of Linnets and multiple Skylarks and Meadow Pipits.
The next bird that really caught my attention was on the way out, when I spotted a trio of Stock Doves on the bank of the lake. I got a few photos, but they flew off quite quickly after I spotted them.
-Stock Dove
The only other thing of note was a Hare, that was flushed by someones dog that was running through the grassland.
So that's a brief look at today's events, some nice stuff and a few hours out. So Today's species list:

Species List:
Orgreave Lakes: Bullfinch, Whitethroat, Greater-Spotted Woodpecker, Starling, Blackbird, Common Redshank, Swift, Swallow, Sand Martin, House Martin, Mistle Thrush, Woodpigeon, Stock Dove, Lapwing, Little-Ringed Plover, Oystercatcher, Graylag Goose, Canada Goose, Tufted Duck, Coot, Skylark, Meadow Pipit, Pied Wagtail, Grey Wagtail, Linnet, Feral Pigeon, Willow Warbler, Reed Bunting, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Jackdaw, Mallard, Black-Headed Gull, Mute Swan, Great-Crested Grebe, Gadwall, Greenfinch, Herring Gull, Lesser Black-Backed Gull, 

No comments:

Post a Comment