Friday 3 October 2014

Orgreave Lakes

Went for a trip down to Orgreave today with the intention of putting my new camera to the test. However, that did not happen, and I took no photos over the course of the morning. There large numbers of Pochard and Tufted Duck, which was nice. There were also 2 Greater Spotted Woodpeckers, though I only saw one, the other I heard calling. The real highlight were 3 Swallows that flew south over the site, which are my first inland October swallows.
I met Mark Reader there for the first time, who is something of a local legend, and regularly patches Orgreave. We got chatting about the site, and I learned some of the incredible things that have been seen there before, e.g. Leaches Petrel. As we were wandering back he picked out the Rock Pipit that had been around on the bank of the small pool, allowing me to see my first inland Rock Pipit. I tried to get some photos but it dropped before I was fully able to.

Species List:
Orgreave Lakes: Starling, Woodpigeon, Tufted Duck, Magpie, Mallard, Carrion Crow, Coot, Black-Headed Gull, Gadwall, Feral Pigeon, Pochard, Swallow, Mute Swan, Goldfinch, Cormorant, Meadow Pipit, Great-Crested Grebe, Chiff-Chaff, Lapwing, Kestrel, Oystercatcher, Great Tit, Skylark, Great-Spotted Woodpecker, Canada Goose, Pied Wagtail, Graylag Goose, Lesser Black-Backed Gull, Dunlin, Linnet, Rook, Rock Pipit,

No comments:

Post a Comment