Wednesday 4 March 2015

Botanical Gardens

Its been a while since I last posted, partly due to my being busy, and partly because most of my birding has been at Orgreave and there has been little different to report. However, there has been a few bits and pieces and this was a pretty exciting day.
For out Tutor we had to go and feed the squirrels in the Botanical gardens, hard work right? Of course the squirrels there are super tame and they came running right up to us as soon as we threw out the peanuts, so I was able to get some decent shots of the squirrels up close, though the light was a bit of an issue.
-Grey Squirrel
But it was not just the squirrels getting in on the act, as we had several very tame pigeons running round us. One of which was so keen it flew up and landed on my hand to get the peanuts before they had been thrown down. That was pretty crazy, though it was just a feral pigeon.
The real star was a Jay that came and flew down. Had I my longer lens it would have been the dream, but with only my shorter lens I could not really get any good shots that the proximity of the bird deserved. It was very close though, for a Jay, not as close as the pigeons. It then settled above our heads for a bit before moving on. A fantastic view of a fantastic bird.
-Jay
Species List:
Sheffield Botanical Gardens: Jay, Feral Pigeon, Woodpigeon, Magpie, Nuthatch, Carrion Crow, Robin, Dunnock, Mistle Thrush, Song Thrush, Blackbird, Grey Squirrel

No comments:

Post a Comment