Wednesday 18 March 2015

Orgreave Lakes

Its been about a week since my last trip to Orgreave and how things have changed in that time. Granted I did make it for my earliest ever time at the site, half 8, but immediately I was greeted by a chorus of birdsong from Dunnocks, Blackbirds, Song Thrush, Skylarks and my first Chiff-Chaff of the year. It was very impressive.
A walk round the small lake produced some goodies. 2 Redshank, a Ringed Plover and 4 Linnet, as well as the usual suspects on the lake and the island; Oystercatcher, Lapwing, Teal, Wigeon etc, though there were far fewer pochards than before.
As I viewed the larger lake 2 Little Ringed Plovers flew over me, yeartick! I followed them onto the mound behind me, but one dropped while the other continued flying around for a good 5 mins before it too dropped. It was distant but even so, once they dropped they were almost invisible and after a quick view through the bins I failed to find them again.
-Little Ringed Plover
I continued round the large lake. Sadly no unusual gulls, but there was a pair of Goldeneye and 5 Goosander to add to the diversity of wildfowl. There were no wheatears around but I there were some Golden Plover on the plains. They were hard to pick up as they were not in one mass as they usually are. I tried to digiscope them but my efforts leave a lot to be desired.
-Golden Plover
Other species on the walk included 2 Grey Wagtails and Long-Tailed Tits, plus more chiff-chaffs singing but I was unable to pick one out. That was until I was in the park before getting the bus and I managed to see one flitting in the undergrowth. Initially I struggled to get the camera on them but after that I did manage to get some decent shots of my first Chiff-Chaff of the year. Very exciting that's for certain.
-Chiff Chaff
So a lovely mornings walk and some great species to go along with them, setting me right up for Easter!

Species List:
Orgreave Lakes: Reed Bunting, Chiff-Chaff, Long-Tailed Tit, Graylag Goose, Canada Goose, Redshank, Ringed Plover, Linnet, Goldeneye, Herring Gull, Oystercatcher, Little Ringed Plover, Grey Wagtail, Golden Plover, Goosander, Kestrel, Mistle Thrush, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Tufted Duck, Mallard, Wigeon, Gadwall, Mute Swan, Teal, Pied Wagtail, Skylark, Meadow Pipit, Lapwing, Cormorant, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Woodpigeon, Feral Pigeon,

No comments:

Post a Comment