Tuesday 21 July 2015

Dorset Holiday Day 10

The last full day in Dorset started well. Sadly moths were a little thin on the ground but as I came out of toilets I spotted a Silver-Washed Fritillary land on the vegetation adjacent to the path right next to me. I had my compact in my pocket so grabbed a few photos with that before racing back to get the DSLR. When I returned the butterfly decided to leave, buts its still the first profile shots I have of this species
-Silver Washed Fritillary
 My plan for the day was Durlston Head Country Park near Swanage, for some seabirds and butterflies. Sadly there was a dire shortage of seabirds, with only a couple of Shags to note. Land birds were not much better but I gained a novelty holiday tick when I flushed 2 Red-Legged Partridges.
As soon as we arrived I was treated to a Silver Washed Fritillary and a couple of blue butterflies which looked very much like Holly Blues, though they did not land. A Hummingbird Hawkmoth was the best of them though, as it fed on the buddleia adjacent to the café where we were.
-Hummingbird Hawkmoth
 Despite the wind there were a good number of butterflies out on the wing. I had hoped for an Adonis blue but instead managed a few Common Blue and a Small Blue. Small Blue was not the only small butterfly for the day, as I also managed Small Copper as a holiday tick.
-Small Copper
-Little Blue
 There were still a few Lulworth Skippers around, this being the last time I will see any of those for a while. I was also able to add another butterfly species to the holiday list in Dark Green Fritillary. They were not abundant round the cliff top but there were about four in a small dell. Sadly, like their silver washed cousins, they did not choose to land conveniently for me.
-Lulworth Skipper
-Dark-Green Fritillary
I was pretty pleased with the days haul. In the afternoon we headed down into Swanage before heading back to the caravan. In the evening we went to Lulworth cove which was a pleasant end to the Dorset experience

Species List:

Durlston Country Park: Kestrel, Shag, Stonechat, Herring Gull, Feral Pigeon, Whitethroat, Carrion Crow, Gannet, Rock Pipit, Red-Legged Partridge, Rook, Raven, Black-Headed Gull, Great Black-Headed Gull, Common Buzzard, Emperor Dragonfly, Small Skipper, Large Skipper, Lulworth Skipper, Large White, Green Veined White, Marbled White, Meadow Brown, Small Heath, Gatekeeper, Common Blue, Small Blue, Holly Blue, Small Copper, Silver Washed Fritillary, Dark Green Fritillary, Red Admiral, Peacock, Comma, 

No comments:

Post a Comment