Monday 6 July 2015

Old Moor RSPB

Yep, I went back for the little bittern. It showed so well on the Sunday that I figured it may be worth another go. I figured wrong! The bird was only seen at around 7 in the morning and not after until early evening. This was some consolation, as it means I did not miss it as I had done before. I waited 3 hours at the watchpoint before deciding enough was enough and going to look at something else. Namely this was due to the weather, which had deteriorated somewhat.
There was a bonus species however, in that an American Wigeon was also on site, so after I had given up on the bittern I went to go and have a look at that, which was on Wath Ings. Sadly it was right at the back, but no matter, as it was possibly the most awful looking bird I have ever seen. It was obviously still in eclipse somewhat and it meant it was rather drab and all its colours had merged together. It was not the most inspring bird to look at. Because of the distance I could only grab record shots of what is only my second ever of this species, but I think they say enough.
-American Wigeon
The real star and consolation of the day was a superb Green Sandpiper feeding just outside the hide. Granted the sun was not out so it was not spangling, but it was so close with pristine plumage, it looked the bomb. I digiscoped a few shots of it, and they are some of the best shots I have ever managed of this species. It really did make up for the lack of little bittern and rather uninspiring wigeon.
-Green Sandpiper
In the end I stayed until half 2 in the afternoon when I finally called it a day. I spent the rest of the time in the Wader Scrape Hide, where there were a few nice juvenile Avocets and a Common Sandpiper. A nice days birding, if not lacking a little bittern.

Species List:
Old Moor RSPB: Kingfisher, Reed Warbler, Magpie, Coot, Great-Crested Grebe, Reed Bunting, Canada Goose, Swift, Sand Martin, Black-Headed Gull, Cormorant, Mute Swan, Goldfinch, Woodpigeon, Kestrel, Mallard, Carrion Crow, Little Grebe, Bittern, Stock Dove, Grey Heron, Common Tern, Tufted Duck, Lapwing, American Wigeon, Moorhen, Oystercatcher, Graylag Goose, Feral Pigeon, Gadwall, Common Teal, Lesser Black-Backed Gull, Pied Wagtail, Green Sandpiper, Redshank, Jackdaw, Avocet, Wigeon, Shoveler, Starling, Common Sandpiper, Bullfinch, Collard Dove, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Chaffinch,

No comments:

Post a Comment