Monday 14 March 2016

Filey

Now that lectures are finished I can go and twitch anything I want. Having found a new cheaper train to get to Filey I decided to go and have a look at the Surf Scoter there. last years visit had been in torrential rain so I hoped to be able to get some better photos in better light, as this time there was not a cloud in the sky.
So when I arrived the scoter took some picking out due to the very strong glare over the bay, and the fact that it was distant. It did come closer and I had hoped the glare would drop but sadly it did not and all I managed were photos of its silhouette. At least it made for a nicer day out than last time. From the photos you can see the white behind the head but the colours on the bill are lacking. That being said, they are somewhat lacking anyway due to the bird only being a 1st winter male.
Its nice to be able to connect with this species again, but I think I will be back for the next one too in an attempt to finally get a decent photo of one. 
-Surf Scoter
One of my reasons for coming to Filey besides the Scoter were the Purple Sandpipers. I love this species and with the spring arriving I knew I might not get some this winter. Fortunately there were still plenty on the brig, including a pretty sweet flock of around 60 birds accompanied by a solitary Dunlin. I managed to get some nice shots as they were on the right side of the light. It really brought out the purple sheen on some of the individuals. A real treat.
-Purple Sandpiper
This was my first proper trip to the coast besides Hartlepool so I was keen to knock off a few coastal yearticks. I managed to plow through 5 additional yearticks; Razorbill, Fulmar, Gannet, Kittiwake and Rock Pipi, as well as Red-legged Partridge from the train. Not a bad haul. In addition to that there were nice views of other coastal species, particularly Red-throated Diver when an individual I had not noticed popped up right in front of me as I was watching the Scoter. There were also signs of spring everywhere, particcularly on the cliff tops where there were at least 10 parachuting Meadow Pipits.
-Eider
-Fulmar
-Gannet
-Red-throated Diver
-Meadow Pipit
-Kittiwake and Guillemot
The weather was fantastic and it made it a really pleasant day out, with awesome birds too. What a way to start my months off from work...

Species List:
Filey: Red-legged Partridge, Woodpigeon, Blackbird, Redwing, Fieldfare, Black-headed Gull, Collard Dove, Feral Pigeon, Pied Wagtail, Lapwing, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Mallard, Rook, Pheasant, Skylark, Graylag Goose, Grey Partridge, Herring Gull, Fulmar, Kittiwake, Turnstone, Gannet, Oystercatcher, Purple Sandpiper, Guillemot, Cormorant, Razorbill, Surf Scoter, Shag, Dunlin, Meadow Pipit, Eider, Redshank, Curlew, Red-throated Diver, Rock Pipit, Great Black-backed Gull, Linnet, Stock Dove, Kestrel, 

No comments:

Post a Comment