Saturday 13 March 2021

Brazil; Ubatuba - Sitio Folha Seca

With Lia planning to work in the flat for the most part of the day I headed out by myself to the nearby site of Sitio Folha Seca. This site is familiar to us after a few visits during our stay in Ubatuba in March 2020. There were a few species we had missed then that I thought there could be a chance for, plus it was not far from our flat so would be able to rush back in Lia needed me.
I arrived mid-morning, and it was already hot outside the forest, but fortunately under the trees it was cool and a lot of birds were active. My first target species was Uniform Crake. I located a few individuals but they were reluctant to come out of the forest, but eventually I found an individual that might show better. It was extremely shy, allowing me only fleeting views as it scuttled through the undergrowth. Photography was not an option, but I did manage to get a very nice audio recording of the bird as it responded to my playback.
The general birding was excellent, with a lot of mixed flocks featuring good species such as Sao Paulo Tyrannulet, Unicolor Antwren and Pale-browed Treehunter. It was whilst birding along the road that I had my second lifer of the day when a Robust Woodpecker flew across the road and perched up in front of me. It sat for only a few seconds before it vanished into the woods. This species was not on my agenda since it is rare here, and since I always seem to miss it when I am in the suitable habitat.
It was on my way back to the car that I had my best bird of the morning. A large hawk dropped out of the lower canopy and flew across the road before alighting again out of sight. The white tail and head immediately gave me the suspicion that this was the White-necked Hawk, and rare and local species that is difficult to find but most common around Ubatuba. A car suddenly appeared behind me, and realizing I was pushed for time, fired a few photos into the thicket where the bird had landed before approaching. Sadly the bird was shy and flushed again, before flying across the road and into the forest. No amount of searching could find it again, and checking the ‘photos’ it seemed that I had missed the bird, meaning it would be impossible for me to rule out Mantled Hawk, a similar species which is rare at such low altitudes, but still possible. It was only upon my return to the flat and looking at the photos once again that I was able to spot the bird lurking behind the foliage. Although the views are limited, there is enough on show to eliminate Mantled Hawk and confirm that this was in fact the White-necked Hawk.
After such a brilliant morning, Lia and I returned in the evening hoping that the hawk might still be around. We did not find it but did find another special bird in Dusky Leaftosser. Although widespread across South America, in the Atlantic Forest this bird is very local and being a leaftosser can be difficult to locate. We have dipped it before, so we were please with this bird. It showed very well but stayed deep in the understory in near complete darkness, greatly restricting the capacity for photos.
-Dusky Leaftosser
-White-necked Hawk
-Robust Woodpecker
-Molochina Underleaf Butterfly
-Swamp Skimmer

Species List:
Sítio Folha Seca: Squirrel Cuckoo, Black Jacobin, Saw-billed Hermit, Festive Coquette, Brazilian Ruby, Violet-capped Woodnymph, Sombre Hummingbird, Glittering-throated Emerald, Uniform Crake, Slaty-breasted Wood Rail, Black Vulture, Turkey Vulture, Black Hawk-Eagle, White-necked Hawk, East Brazilian Pygmy Owl, Green-backed Trogon, Rufous-capped Motmot, Channel-billed Toucan, White-barred Piculet, Robust Woodpecker, Southern Crested Caracara, Plain Parakeet, Tufted Antshrike, Spot-breasted Antvireo, Unicolored Antwren, Rufous-winged Antwren, Scaled Antbird, Black-cheeked Gnateater, Rufous-capped Antthrush, Dusky Leaftosser, Olivaceous Woodcreeper, Lesser Woodcreeper, Plain Xenops, Pale-browed Treehunter, Black-capped Foliage-gleaner, White-eyed Foliage-gleaner, Blue Manakin, White-bearded Manakin, Whiskered Myiobius, Grey-hooded Flycatcher, Sepia-capped Flycatcher, Sao Paulo Tyrannulet, Yellow-olive Flatbill, Long-tailed Tyrant, Social Flycatcher, Chivi Vireo, Blue-and-white Swallow, White-necked Thrush, Chestnut-bellied Euphonia, Red-rumped Cacique, Tropical Parula, Ruby-crowned Tanager, Brazilian Tanager, Green-headed Tanager, Red-necked Tanager, Blue Dacnis, Rufous-headed Tanager, Bananaquit,

No comments:

Post a Comment