Tuesday 20 July 2010

Scotland-Day 3

And so day 3 begins, I decided to go for a morning walk along the beach to see what I could see. No sooner had I walked down to the shore did one of the shoreline campers point to something out at sea. I failed to hear what he said but when I saw where he was looking it became clear! otters, a long way out but they were there. 2 of them swimming out by one of the dykes. A truly awesome site to see. I ran back to tell my dad who seemed reluctant to get up but still managed it.
The otters did do very little during their swim and as a result we left after about half an hour of spec watching to continue along the beach. No sooner had we set off did something else caught my eye. A large flock of summer plumage dunlins was weaving its way along the shore in search of sandhoppers.
For wading birds these dunlins were quite bold, but as I say, for wading birds, which meant they still flew off whilst I was about 5m away.

By the time I had finished with the dunlins the otters had made their way to one of the dyke's and got out. Conveniently it was the dyke right in front of us they chose although they did not stay there for long. still it gave me enough time to get a reasonable record shot of the otter. There I have now got proof, not specks!

The walk back along the road produced some hooded crows. They were quite bold as well which allowed me to take the record shot that I needed. Unlike yesterdays, these particular crows were much bolder.


also on the way back spotted 3 hares in the Field opposite from the campsite, which was always nice. My mum wanted to see the otters when we told her, when we got back and so no sooner had we got in than we went out again to see the otters. I was in luck. The dyke they had sat on before was now having them sit on it again. I managed to sneak further up the dyke until I could get the photos I wanted. By this time there were 3 otters and it was clear that they were a mum and 2 cubs which is a usual set up for otters.






We lingered around until they ahd gone which was about an hour. My brother did not wake up within that time and as a result he failed to see them. Still, that is the price for sleeping in! As we walked back along the beach I spotted some familiar faces along the shore. It was the dunlin flock. I silently crept up to them again to try and take more photos and I managed it. I could touch them easily without having to stretch my arm I amanged to get that close. They wree such delightful characters and just as bold as chaffinches, not waders.


This offered me a great oppertunity to take dunlin record photos. it is always nice to get a great record shot and not some blurred mess, just like the trumpeter finch. Seeing it was one thing but it came so close that I manged to get some decent pictures of it and not just a blurred mess.








My family decided that, since the sun was out, that they would spend the day at the campsite snorkeling and canoeing. That's great but I hate canoeing. they decided that that's what they would do first and so I decided to stay at the campsite and view the local wild creatures. The otters where still in the area and a seal was perched on a rock nearby. As the otters got closer It allowed me to take a photo of two semi-marine animals together, which i am quite proud of.



I stayed within that area to try and get close to the seals. Just as my parents were pushing out their canoe, however I heard a strange noise. Its easily identifiable when you hear it but still,the noise its self was so unique and indescribable. I spotted them, 2, flying over the sea. I whipped out my camera and took a snap. One came out well but still not well enough for me to put my finger on the species. The photo I took is below and it is clear to see that this animal was a loon of some description. sadly however there is no red or black or green present on the animals neck and so I can not tell you what type of loon it is. judging by the types that live in the area I think its fair to say that it is probably a red throated but who can tell?


Not much further up the beach I manged to catch site of another wader, my fourth species of the holiday, a redshank. It too was quite bold and it allowed me to get the best redshank shot that I have ever got.


Then I returned to the seal sat on the rock to try and get some more photos of seals. I think that these are common seals because they lack the "roman nose" featured with grey seals. There was number of other seals sat behind this seal, but they were too far away to make out and so I left it like that.




When my family returned from their canoe voyage they went back into the campsite. I followed until I managed to spot this even better photo opportunity on the campsite. look at him, playing with an innocent piece of bread. I suppose that the crows will know that this area is home to a lot of scratty tourists who just throw out their rubbish and as a result the birds come down regularly to pick off the scraps.




After this we went snorkling. I can positively say that this is the coldest sea I have ever been in. The only animals I recall being in it were the seals and the only way I could see them was by poking my head out of the water. Still it made for an end to an exciting day.


In the evening the sky turned blood red, which was reflected off the light house creating this beautiful scenic image I have included here.

No comments:

Post a Comment