Thursday 3 November 2022

Brazil; Maranhão - Day 1

 On our first little adventure of this particular visit to Brazil, I accompanied Lia to the northeast state of Maranhão where she would be doing a days teaching, but had arranged a week in the state to see some of the sights. Of couse, I tagged along as this is a new state for me, and the capital city of Sao Luis is situated right on the coast, which means excellent potential for waders.

  The flight took half the day, but it was nice that when we arrived our hotel was sandwiched between the beach and a large lake with mangroves. From our window I added Tricolored Heron to my life-list as it flew across the lake, and I added Gull-billed Tern to my Brazil list from the same window. The highlight was seeing my first really pink Scarlet Ibises, first that flew over the car as we crossed the city, and then seen distantly from the hotel window. The species is common here so hopefully we will see plenty in the following week.

  Although the birding was good just from  the window here, we did not have so much time to enjoy it as we made tracks to head to the Lençóis Maranhenses, a national park famous for its large dune ecosystem, four hours drive from the city. That would be our chosen destination tomorrow. 

-Tricolored Heron


Species List:
Stop Way Hotel: Feral Pigeon, Wattled Jacana, Ruddy Turnstone, Grey-headed Gull, Large-billed Tern, Gull-billed Tern, Neotropic Cormorant, Great Egret, Tricolored Heron, Scarlet Ibis, Black Vulture, Osprey, Great Kiskadee, White-winged Swallow,


No comments:

Post a Comment