Sunday 18 July 2010

scotland holiday-day 2

And so we begin our first day on Arran. To be fair, however, the weather was pretty much what you could expect and, as such, we were not surprised. The cold grey over-cast Sky's only reminded us that we were in fact on an island and in Scotland. Never-the-less, a brisk morning walk which would hopefully have provided some hooded crows left me feeling dead. The lack of hooded crows was really beginning to get to me by now and the pouring rain was not helping. Obviously though the rain left us with few options. Beginning on Arran there is actually very little to do when it rains which is inconvenient considering that it rains so very much of the time. But still, Arran would still provide wildlife as this is what the animals are used to. The morning walk I talked about produced some very nice birds Including ringed plover and a variety of other common seashore birds. Whilst enjoying breakfast however (after the walk) We spotted some gannets diving off the shore of the campsite (in case I failed to mention, the campsite is next to a rocky beach, which is broken up by rocky dyke's). I set off to the beach to take some phtos of gannets diving. I have surmised a suspicion that seabirds come closer to shore when the weather is poor because of the shallower water leading, perhaps, to greater water visibility. This however meant that the gannets were not adopting their striking diving position because the water was too shallow. However, I still decided to have a go. I positioned my-self, huddled down on a rocky shingle outstretch into the water (not a dyke) to try and get closer to the birds. I was in luck the gannets were feeding on the side I was looking at but also on the other side as well and often flew between the sides, over the area where I was nestled into the rocks. The birds were also flying quite low only adding to the experience. I seem to remember even hearing the gush of wind from one of them it was that low.
Eventually though my bum got wet, and I got cold, so I started heading in. But I stopped! I had not even got of the outstretch when I spotted something, or rather somethings, feeding in the rotted seaweed, a feature of Scottish beaches. I took a look. They were black. And grey. could they be, the birds that I had so sought after that morning and would no doubt be searching for through out the holiday. Indeed they were, and there were four of them. Hooded crows! A quick sneak up the beach allowed me to take some record shots but unfortunately, as with carrion crows, they were very flighty and as a result the only decent photo I took was of one in flight (ironically!)
Once I got back to the caravan, the days plans were all ready laid out (or so I assumed) and so off we set to Black water foot, a small tourist town on the west side of the island. The beach is pretty much the same as any other beach, except there is even more seaweed! A casual wander down the beach reveled some ringed plovers which were much bolder than any I had encountered before.
Naturally I took some photos. A curlew flew past on the sea and a handful of eiders bobbed up and down out at sea but appart from that there were no bird that would have eyebrows raised. As we wandered about the town however I heard a call that I had commited to memory (partly because Its so easy to remeber and partly because I felt I should learn a few bird calls) The harsh "bronking" of a raven. The first raven of the holiday! Naturally this should go down in note so I took a handful of photos. On recolection, however I decided that the photos were too poor and That I was sure I would see plenty more ravens to get a record shot. I can tell you now with hindsite that that was a big mistake as, if you read on you will find, As very few more noppertunitys presented themselves and in my final ditched attempt to see them, They failed to turn up. But thats all in the past now!
after lunch we decided to go to brodick to do some shopping (yay!). As we wandered around we found this pale green moth (an emerald if I am not mistaken) which was resting on the outside toilet glass.
I had stayed behind to shoot the moth (not litterally) and as a result my family had gone ahead. I caught up with them at the bridge where they silently pointed out to me a heron feeding in the small river the bridge went over. The river is enetering the sea at this section of the river, hence the seaweed in some of the photos below. A curious feature of Arran herons is their small appearance. I have never seen a heron so small before. Normally a heron would comfortably reach my hip but these particualar herons only just made it past my knee. Just a small observation! Anyway I sneakily made my way down to the heron whilst my parents went away to do some shopping. I needent have bothered (the sneaking I mean) as the heron was bold as brass. It clearly knew I was there but I just ciontinued walking along the river and fishing. A quick shutter speed alowed me to capture its eratic head movements on camera and created a blakc background for dramatic affect.
After that we were at a loss as to what to do. I left the heron fishing and decided to go have a look at the Arran brewery. I personally have no interest in alcohol but my dad has just started brewing his own. It was within a small complex which had a lot of traditional craft shots like leather-work and glass working and wood cutting. The brewery was at the top of the complex and behind it was the path to the ledgendary goatfell, The tallest mountain on the island, And interestingly where Britains most southern ptarmigans live. I wandered about 10 meters up the path in case I spotted a red squirrel in the bushes, whilst my parents gazed at some clothing in an outdoor shop (fun!). However I was in luck and sturck upon these delightful little young black caps hidding totally not obviously in the bushes. Having said that I would never have seen them were it not for the adult but he didnt want to stick around so I took a few shots of the yound and then left.
good thing I did too. My family were just getting ready for a brewery tour and asked me if I would like to stay outside. of course I wanted to. As all this was goin on a dragonfly came out of the woods. Dragonflys have an annoying habit of not staying still and leaving you in doubt about there identity as they whizz around the place. Luckily this one slowed down just long enough for me to check its I.d. And confirm it as a common hawker.
Also in my time outside I decided to stroll further up the path ot goatfell but diddnt go too far. I found agoldcrest and a few hooded crows in the distance mobbing a buzard. After that we returned to the campsite.
The evening light was particularly good for photos and I took a few see below but they were not exactly amazing as I'm sure they would be if I knew what I was doing!
An eveing walk along the beach provided a surprise in the form of a sedge warbler plus a vauge distant speck which on photo analysis proved to be a common sandpiper. Great stuff for a rainy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment