Tuesday 29 July 2014

Spurn Day 20

Today the virus began to really grab hold. As a consequence the birding has been limited. After I had awoken from my days slumber I eventually decided to go for a short walk along Canalside to see if any birds had dropped into the bushes. It was already mid-afternoon when I set off and as such did not expect to see much
The first bird I saw was a lovely Reed Bunting that was perched out in the open near the bottom of the walk. The only other time I have seen one here was a bird flushed that then immediately skulked again, so nothing worth reporting really. This time the view was obviously much better, so much so I have even included it in my blog.
-Reed Bunting
The tide was out and as such there were not many waders on show. There was a pair of well grown Cygnets on Canal Scrape and a few Sedge Warbler singing from the reeds. There were also a couple in the bushes, which gave better views but were still very skulky.
On my way back I found my highlight of the walk, which was a family of Whitethroat. I first noticed them as one of the juveniles had perched on a car window in a very unorthodox position. In fact I spotted 2 youngsters and an adult, which was tending to them and bringing them food. I grabbed a few photos to include on here, mainly because it had been a quiet walk but also because the young birds were quite cute.
-Whitethroat
And that was about it to be honest. Beacon Ponds was quiet for my shift, though there were impressive numbers of Dunlin on the beach. I also managed to sneak past them but once one took off they all followed suit, and then landed ahead of me on the beach, so I had to pass them again…

The Daily Oystercatcher
To be honest I can’t actually remember the Oyks actually doing anything today. I can’t recall if I saw them, though I probably did. They were probably just feeding or sleeping and so is not overly memorable.

Species List:
Canalside: Reed Bunting, Sedge Warbler, Whitethroat, Mallard, Mute Swan, Woodpigeon, Swallow, Sand Martin, Swift,
Beacon Ponds: Dunlin, Grey Plover, Oystercatcher, Cormorant, 

No comments:

Post a Comment