Friday 2 January 2015

Mixenden Reservoir - year ticking Great Northern Diver

The dawn of the new year means that my yearlist has now been reduced to zero one again. I decided to get 2015 rolling with a morning visit to Mixenden to have a look at the Great Northern Diver again, the same species involved in my first 'twitch' of 2014 too. The bird showed very well and look very nice in the morning light. I was able to get some more record shots of it as it came quite close to the bank at points.
-Great Northern Diver
A smashing bird to get the ball rolling. In addition there were a good number of common woodland species out and about, including Goldcrest, Treecreeper. Nuthatch and Greater-Spotted Woodpecker, as well as Redwings in the fields nearby. Overall I clocked a good few species to set me on my way.
Sadly though when I got home I saw that the little bustard I had hoped to twitch the next day and done a runner, leaving me feeling a little bitter sweet, but I'm sure there will be another at some point...
Species List:
Mixenden Reservoir: Starling, Black-Headed Gull, Common Gull, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Blackbird, Robin, Woodpigeon, Magpie, Jackdaw, Great Northern Diver, Treecreeper, Feral Pigeon, Lesser Black-Backed Gull, Chaffinch. Goldfinch, Great-Crested Grebe, Goldcrest, Coal Tit, Long-Tailed Tit, Kestrel, Herring Gull, Nuthatch, Greater Spotted Woodpecker, Grey Wagtail, Wren, Little Grebe, Redwing, Mistle Thrush,

No comments:

Post a Comment