Wednesday 24 February 2016

Orgreave Lakes

A bright sunny morning on my day off, so I set off down to Orgreave for a look round. The highlights of the day were the numerous signs of spring, namely the singing Skylarks all around, probably at least 30 birds. There were other more unusual site passerines around too such as a pair of Stonechat and a pair of Siskin...
-Stonechat
-Skylark
-Siskin
Another highlight was a new addition to my Orgreave Patch List! Whilst walking along the hillside on my way over to the Waverley estate I flushed a pair of Grey Partridges from the long grass. They flew over the hilltop where I lost them but its a patch tick for me. I managed to grab one acceptable record shot before I lost them.
-Grey Partridge
I mentioned that I was heading to Waverley and that was because the male Black Redstart had been refound and was behaving himself. It took some finding but once I had it I was able to finally get some record shots, as well as getting the other birders present onto it. I was not able to get as close as I would have liked, but thats largely due to not wanting to flush it for the other birders. The female bird was also present at the far side of the estate, and I was sure I was going to get some good shots of it given how close it was but then it dropped down and vanished. I could not refind it and since I was becoming pushed for time there was not much I could do.
-Black Redstart
On my way back from Waverley through the lakes again I picked up 3 Common Buzzards soaring overhead. I first picked them up on their call before I spotted them soaring almost directly above me. They are a very majestic bird to say the least.
-Common Buzzard
What a day down on the patch. When it pays off like this, there is nowhere better to bird inland that I can think of.

Species List:
Orgreave Lakes: Blackbird, Magpie, Wren, House Sparrow, Collard Dove, Woodpigeon, Robin, Blue Tit, Goldfinch, Reed Bunting, Great Tit, Moorhen, Common Teal, Mallard, Skylark, Goosander, Black-headed Gull, Little Grebe, Lapwing, Meadow Pipit, Pochard, Coot, Gadwall, Tufted Duck, Carrion Crow, Wigeon, Fieldfare, Siskin, Mistle Thrush, Mute Swan, Herring Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Pied Wagtail, Black Redstart, Common Buzzard, Kestrel, Lesser Redpoll, Linnet, Long-tailed Tit,

No comments:

Post a Comment