Thursday 25 February 2016

Weston Park

I returned back from lectures with the sound intention of working of developing ideas for my dissertation, something which is now well overdue. That idea was quickly cut short when I saw via the University Birdwatching Society that there was a pair of Egyptian Geese on the Weston Park pond. I, of course, headed straight down there and within 10 mins was watching the birds.
Both were reasonably approachable and readily came to bread. They were unringed and were probably the same birds seen on the far side of Sheffield a day earlier. I had a behaviour tick when I got to see them displaying and a vocal tick when I got to hear the male calling, How cool is that?!? The only real downside was that the light was awful and so all 600 photos I took are also not brilliant.
Anyway, what better way to spend an afternoon...
-Egyptian Geese
Besides the obvious highlights there was also a smart female Wigeon present, unringed but almost certainly of suspect origin, not helped by the fact that it was coming to bread. The ever-present male Wood Duck was still strutting his stuff, today he was displaying earnestly to a female mallard.
-Wigeon
-Wood Duck
Species List:
Weston Park: Egyptian Geese, Wigeon, Mallard, Feral Pigeon, Woodpigeon, Pied Wagtail, 

No comments:

Post a Comment