Sunday 14 July 2019

Brazil; Espirito Santo 13.07.2019 - 14.07.2019


Brazil Day 40 13.07.2019
And so we come to my final days birding in Brazil for this year. Once again we made an effort to see the cherry-throated tanager, but once again we fell short, failing to find the bird in ten hours searching ranging from first light (At which point it was 5°C) until near darkness. And whilst we may have failed on our main target, we still enjoyed an amazing range of species with a number of lifers.
From the freezing morning there were new birds to be had, with fantastic views of Star-throated Antwren and Streak-capped Antwren, but the standout bird of the morning were a pair of showy, although distant, White-bibbed Antbird. These really were stunning birds, and one of the nicest Anbirds I have seen. Other lifers included; Black-tailed Myiobius, Oustalet’s Tyrannulet
Obviously in the afternoon it quietened down, but I was on my own whilst Lia had a nap, and as I was walking along the roads I spotted a cat walking down the road towards me. Obviously my first instinct was that the animal was a domestic cat, but I raised my bins and clearly saw a strikingly mottled plumage and long striped tail, it was a MARGAY, an extremely secretive jungle species. I can only wish I had seen it for longer, but it fled as soon as it saw me.
-White-bibbed Antbird
-Black-headed Berryeater

In the evening there were more birds to be had, including insane views of Brown Tinamou with a very showy individual walking in front of us on the road. And then, just before dark I got another lifer which was even more secretive; Cryptic Anthrush. We had heard this species at multiple points during our trip, but now we had one calling close. Whilst Lia recorded I scanned through the leaf litter and picked out the bird walking away. The views were frustratingly brief, but I managed to see the bright supercillium and the tail cocked and bobbing as it walked away.
-Brown Tinamou

Species List:
Mata dos Caetes: Brown Tinamou, Squirrel Cuckoo, Grey-rumped Swift, Lesser Yellow-headed Vulture, White-tailed Hawk, Surucua Trogon, Black-throated Trogon, White-barred Piculette, Lineated Woodpecker, Maroon-bellied Parakeet, Star-throated Antwren, Spot-breasted Antvireo, Streak-capped Antwren, White-bibbed Antbird, Rufous Gnateater, Cryptic Anthrush, Olivaceous Woodcreeper, Planalto Woodcreeper, White-throated Woodcreeper, Lesser Woodcreeper, Streaked Xenops, White-collared Foliage-Gleaner, Ochre-breasted Foliage-Gleaner, Pallid Spinetail, Rufous-capped Spinetail, Grey-hooded Flycatcher, Oustalet’s Tyrannulet, Eared Pygmy-Tyrant, Drab-breasted Bamboo-Tyrant, Common Tody-Flycatcher, Yellow-Olive Flycatcher, Black-tailed Myiobius, Tropical Peewee, Hooded Berryeater, Blue Manakin, Chestnut-crowned Becard, Rufous-browed Peppershrike, Rufous-bellied Thrush, Chestnut-bellied Euphonia, Golden-crowned Warbler, Blue Dacnis, Rufous-headed Tanager, Margay,

Brazil Day 41 14.07.2019
With the end of my time in Brazil looming, my last full day was spent returning to Brasilia. As a result there was not any time for birding and nothing was really seen. And then the next day I left early morning to return to England, thus ending my time in Brazil…

No comments:

Post a Comment