Monday 2 February 2015

Orgreave Lakes

Exams finally finished and so to celebrate I spent the afternoon at an incredibly cold Orgreave. Man it was cold. Very nice conditions for the snow bunting... if there had not been a photographer chasing it around the mounds. I decided to settle down and have a look at the gulls while waiting for the bunting to be flushed closer. In the end it come reasonably close but not close enough for a great shot.
-Snow Bunting
Other birds on site included a patch tick of Peregrine when it flew over me and the usual suspects. I tried going through the gulls since my revision breaks have mainly been spent going over gulls to try and improve myself in that area. There was one which caught my eye, but I decided to was a herring, until I got home and had a look at the photos. Anyway, I threw it out on twitter and the response I got agreed that it was a herring.
Apart from that I also patch ticked Bullfinch with a striking male bird which was in the trees on the bank of the river. It was distant but if the first I have seen here and this year. A great end to my afternoons birding.
-Bullfinch
Species List:
Orgreave Lakes: Peregrine Falcon, Kestrel, Herring Gull, Greater Black-Backed Gull, Lesser Black-Backed Gull, Black-Headed Gull, Cormorant, Coot, Tufted Duck, Pochard, Mallard, Wigeon, Gadwall, Linnet, Skylark, Snow Bunting, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Blackbird, Lapwing, 

No comments:

Post a Comment