Friday 13 February 2015

Gull Watching in Attercliffe

Christened my new scope with a pre-lecture look at the gulls down in Attercliffe trying to see the iceland gull that had been around. It took a while before I could actually find any gulls down on the rooftops but eventually they settled on the tip and I was able to get a good look at them. Sadly no iceland gull but I did see a pretty pale bird that I wondered if could be a hybrid. I messaged Nick who said he thought it was just a pale Herring Gull, and passed it onto Martin Garner who agreed that it was a pretty funky looking Herring Gull.
-Funky Herring Gull
So that was a little exciting, but did leave me with yet another gull challenge. Also on site was a Grey Heron fishing on the weir and a female Sparrowhawk flew through. Plenty of large gulls did eventually land, but only the usual species.

Species List:
Attercliffe: Herring Gull, Lesser Black-Backed Gull, Greater Black-Backed Gull, Black-Headed Gull, Moorhen, Mallard, Grey Heron, Sparrowhawk, 

No comments:

Post a Comment