Wednesday 25 February 2015

Orgreave Lakes

Another day off, but this time my options were limited. The black-bellied dipper had not been seen for 2 days and there was nothing else to twitch around. So I decided to stay local, and head over to Orgreave, since I had been trying to do more patching this year as well as twitching, and it also gave me a chance to use the scope again.
Funnily enough the bb dipper was reported this morning, but I decided to just stick to my original plan and go to Orgreave. There was not much happening, with duck numbers much lower than they have been previously, and the number of passerines was also down, though there were a lot of Skylarks singing.
Gull numbers had remained the same but aside from a juvenile Great Black Back there was not much there besides Herring and Black-Headed. The real highlight was a trio of Goldcrest as I was leaving, one displaying its crest very nicely but moving through the vegetation and hard to follow, plus they were on the other side of the river, so no photos. Since I decided I did need a photo though, I grabbed a quick shot of the Pochard on the island in the small pool, pochard being the only duck still present in large numbers.
-Pochard
Species List:
Orgreave Lakes: Goldcrest, Goosander, Mute Swan, Great Black-Backed Gull, Herring Gull, Great Crested Grebe, Sparrowhawk, Linnet, Reed Bunting, Robin, Wren, Stock Dove, Long-Tailed Tit, Mallard, Teal, Wigeon, Gadwall, Moorhen, Coot, Tufted Duck, Carrion Crow, Black-Headed Gull, Pied Wagtail, Woodpigeon, Lapwing, Cormorant, Pochard, Starling, Blackbird, Feral Pigeon,

2 comments:

  1. Send some over here - Pochard is a rarity nowadays in Calderdale - only a single record last year and now rarer than GND !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its crazy how thing change, I think my first ever pochards were on Ogden all those years ago. Its sad that they have declined like that locally

    ReplyDelete