Monday 4 August 2014

Spurn Day 26

Despite being back on days, today was a quiet day on the ponds. There was very few wader movement, though I may have missed some when I went for lunch, but if I doubt they came and left with the space of 2 hours.
But there was a Black-Tailed Godwit on the ponds, which is a species that seems to have been lacking in recent visits. Other waders included 5 Sanderling, a few Dunlin, the Oyks and a Common Sandpiper that dropped in during the early morning.
The highlight of the day was when an Arctic Skua flew over the colony. Sadly it did not come close to the hut, but left by the south side of the pond. I grabbed a photo of it and it is effectively the only thing photographed all day, which was a reflection of how quiet it was.
-Arctic Skua
There was an incredible passage of Hirundines though, with sometimes over a hundred birds going south in the space of a minuet. It was certainly impressive, I can only imagine what it was like down at the watch-point. There were impressive numbers of Swallows all skimming the ponds at the same time, so its been an impressive day hirundine wise that's for sure.
On the way back form the ponds I got another view of one of my bogey species. Yesterday I have a sneaky feeling I may have seen a Lesser Whitethroat along Beacon Lane, but as usual the views were too fleeting to be confident. Today the same thing happened but I managed a fleeting view enough to tell me that I had indeed seen my second ever Lesser Whitethroat. Sadly as soon as I saw the bird it dived into the bush and I spotted a small grey brown bird fly out the back. But that seems pretty standard for this species.
Having been picked up by that after dinner I headed up to the Sea-watching point. There was a good group there, so there was a chance that if something mega turned up it would be seen. It did not, but there was decent passage of Common and Sandwich terns with a few Arctics thrown in for good measure. Its my first real experience of tern passage, and I have to say that my old issue of Common or Arctic is showing me up a bit, not what I really wanted.

The Daily Oystercatcher
I have seen more flying today, flying in groups, singly, you name it. When the family all fly together you can clearly tell which are the youngsters as they have to flap twice as much as the adults. But besides that I can see they are becoming more competent flyers, and will soon be on their way off the pond I feel.

Species List: 
Beacon Ponds: Black-Headed Gull, Shelduck, Mute Swan, Oystercatcher, Dunlin, Common Sandpiper, Redshank, Meadow Pipit, Swallow, Sandwich Tern, Woodpigeon, Mallard, Linnet, Little Egret, Little Tern, Reed Bunting, Yellow Wagtail, Sand Martin, Feral Pigeon, Graylag Goose, Swift, Arctic Tern, Arctic Skua, Grey Heron, Cormorant, Black-Tailed Godwit, Pied Wagtail, House Martin, House Sparrow, Sanderling, Lesser Black-Backed Gull, Avocet, Blackbird, Mallard, Lesser Whitethroat, Dunnock, Whitethroat, Chaffinch, Great Tit, Magpie, Wall Brown, Meadow Brown, Gatekeeper, Speckled Wood, Red Admiral, Large White, Small White, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock, Ruddy Darter, Emperor, Migrant Hawker, 
Seawatch: Gannet, Oystercatcher, Sandwich Tern, Common Scoter, Arctic Tern, Little Gull, Turnstone, Swallow, Sand Martin, Common Gull, Lesser Black-Backed Gull, Arctic Skua, Whimbrel, Grey Seal,

No comments:

Post a Comment