Monday 25 August 2014

Spurn Day 47

I decided that my spurn patch weekend list was in need of a boost. So I awoke with the intention to find as many species as possible so that I may be crowned NGB champion. I started as usual at the seawatching, where I added Eider to my list of species for the weekend.
I next headed along the canal to try and pick up species. I got a great tick when a Marsh Harrier flew over me. It was quite muggy in the morning so my photo was not very good, even when it flew straight overhead. I grabbed a few shots to include on the website but I have only included them as a record purpose.
-Marsh Harrier
. I spent a bit of time with Tim looking over the estuary. I found Golden Plover to add to my list while Tim found Greenshank and Yellow-Legged Gull that we both added. I then moved along the triangle towards Beacon Lane which I then wander up in order to spot as many species along the road. Stuff was about along Beacon Lane, including Grey Partridge, Wheatear and more Whinchat, the latter of which I got some photos of. Also along Beacon Lane on a none avian front was a lovely Common Lizard that I spotted basking on a rock. 
-Whinchat
-Common Lizard
On the ponds I added a few Wildfowl like Wigeon and Mute Swan, not overly rare but very important in a bird race. I then headed along to wetlands to see what was on there. The best things I found were Pintail, Common Sandpiper and plenty of Yellow Wagtails. As soon as I arrived there was one on the fence which was as close as I have ever been to one, allowing me to get some of my best ever shots of the species.
-Yellow Wagtail
Also on wetlands, and the highlight of the walk was a juvenile Little Ringed Plover which had been there for a few days but I had not seen. Its a Spurn Lifer for me, so I was very excited to see it, the first one I have seen for a few days.
-Little Ringed Plover
I continued round picking up odd bits, the highlight being a Spotted Flycatcher on Beacon Lane, Spurn Tick. In the evening I also patch ticked Razorbill going north which was nice. Overall, a sound day and a great list to help me on my way with the NGB patch challenge.

Species List:
Seawatching: Arctic Skua, Gannet, Common Scoter, Knot, Common Teal, Wheatear, Oystercatcher, Fulmar, Sandwich Tern, Yellow Wagtail, Eider, Red-Throated Diver, Redshank, 
Mooching About: Whinchat, Cuckoo, Marsh Harrier, Sparrowhawk, Blue Tit, Lesser Whitethroat, Great Tit, Wren, Willow Warbler, Reed Warbler, Sand Martin, House Martin, Swallow, Blackbird, Whitethroat, Curlew, Golden Plover, Greenshank, Whimbrel, Cormorant, Oystercatcher, Mallard, Robin, Yellow-Legged Gull, Collard Dove, Goldfinch, Dunnock, Carrion Crow, Grey Partridge, Kestrel, Mute Swan, Grey Heron, Wheatear, Linnet, Yellow Wagtail, Common Sandpiper, Redshank, Dunlin, Wigeon, Little-Ringed Plover, Shelduck, Ringed Plover, Turnstone, Pied Wagtail, Little Egret, Woodpigeon, Magpie, Chaffinch, Collard Dove, Spotted Flycatcher, Greenfinch, Meadow Pipit, Coot, Starling, House Sparrow, 
Seawatching: Gannet, Sandwich Tern, Oystercatcher, Razorbill, Common Tern, Greater Black-Backed Gull, Arctic Skua,

No comments:

Post a Comment