Thursday 21 August 2014

Spurn Day 43

Today was a busy day, but sadly not on the bird front. I awoke late, a consequence of yesterday’s fence removal excursions. Fortunately today had more of the same lined up. I missed the morning’s seawatch and was a little late up to ponds so was unable to stop for anything, not that I saw anything to stop for.
The fence took all day and was energy sapping, so by the time we were finished I hardly had the energy to walk back. During the day I spotted Oystercatcher, Grey Heron, Little Egret and Bar-Tailed Godwit as the highlights, with a Yellow Wagtail on the walk back, as well as a garden warbler singing on Beacon Lane, though sadly not seen. At a same time as we were wandering back, one Adam Hutt was at the Seawatching hide picking up long-tailed and pomarine skua as well as a pterodroma petrel. It’s all about being in the right place.
But with this information in mind I was optimistic about the evening’s seawatch. My optimism was quickly dashed when the number of birds was limited. There were a couple of waders; 1 Snipe, 2 Ringed Plover, a few Knot and Oystercatcher. The Tern count was around 2500, but I forgot my notebook so can’t tell you exactly. Either way by the standards that have been set it’s been a quiet night. Hopefully tomorrow we will have a little more success.

Species List:
Beacon Ponds: Yellow Wagtail, Willow Warbler, Dunlin, Little Egret, Mute Swan, Mallard, Grey Heron, Little Tern, Sandwich Tern, Black-Headed Gull, Bar-Tailed Godwit,

Seawatching: Shelduck, Turnstone, Knot, Ringed Plover, Black-Headed Gull, Mediterranean Gull, Greater Black-Backed Gull, Common Tern, Sandwich Tern, Arctic Tern, Snipe, Swallow, Sand Martin, Woodpigeon, Oystercatcher, 

No comments:

Post a Comment