Wednesday 20 August 2014

Spurn Day 42

Today was a quiet day on the bird front, but today we commence with the fence removal. I gratefully accepted the lie in and so crawled out of bed at the time and sluggishly headed out to bird.
A wander round in the morning and a look out to sea yielded very little. It was only when I was on my way up to the ponds during early afternoon that things started to get a little more interesting, when I spotted a group of 5 Whinchat on the fence lines. Sadly they quickly moved up but I managed a reasonable photo of one of them.
-Whinchat
I arrived early at fence removal to check everything was in order. It was. I had a look for the terns and sent 1 chick flying frantically away, but it shows that they are doing well. We then began to fence removal. It was hard graft, harder than I expected and slower too, but it had begun, and the first few wires came down.
After the afternoons hard graft I was well ready to crash out in the warren. Fortunately on the way there I spotted some nice birds to keep the spirits high, including a couple of Yellow Wagtails alighted on the fence posts opposite where the whinchats had been. I grabbed a few shots of them, looking lovely in the evening light.
-Yellow Wagtail
The evenings seawatch was dead, nothing to note at all there. The possible highlight were 6 Common Scoter, but even they could hardly rescue it. In all honesty I have had days more productive at Soil Hill than that evenings seawatch.

Species List:
Seawatching: Common Tern, Swallow, Common Gull, Gannet, Meadow Pipit, Black-Headed Gull, Common Scoter, Oystercatcher, Stock Dove, Sand Martin,

No comments:

Post a Comment