Friday 15 August 2014

Spurn Day 37

So I headed out after another nightshift and went straight onto Canal Scrape to see what was about. Even by canal scrape standards it was dead. I made it to 15 species before I gave up, the highlight being a couple of lovely yellow Willow Warbler in the bushes at the back.
On the way out I heard a very unfamiliar call and turned round to see an Accro warbler calling from the bushes. I grabbed a quick picture before the bird dived for cover, but I was left in some doubt as to its i.d., as the call I did not recognize as reed warbler. After about an hour following the bird round I eventually gave up, but research after suggests that it was a Reed Warbler, only it was making some funny noises!
-Reed Warbler
While I was waiting for the warbler I spotted a hawker dragonfly hunting in the hedgerow in front of me. I got a decent view of it and identified it as a Southern Hawker, nice but it did not land and as such I was unable to get any decent photos.
As such when it came to the log and proof was required due to the rarer nature of this dragonfly on Spurn there was some discussion as to the proof, though the green marks behind the head are clearly visible and indicate that it is indeed a Southern Hawker, a spurn rarity.
-Southern Hawker
The seawatch was just as quiet as the day, with very few terns moving and hardly anything besides them. A few Common Scoter and Fulmar was the only addition to the poor tern passage. It has been a quiet day thats for sure, but only by Spurn standards!

Species List:
Canal Scrape: Woodpigeon, Swallow, Mallard, Black-Headed Gull, Herring Gull, House Martin, Linnet, Willow Warbler, Knot, Magpie, Sand Martin, Coot, Lesser Black-Backed Gull, Little Egret, Whitethroat, Greenfinch, Reed Warbler,
Seawatch: Sandwich Tern, Common Tern, Lesser Black-Backed Gull, Common Gull, Woodpigeon, Swallow, Greater Black-Backed Gull, Oystercatcher, Cormorant, Fulmar, Common Scoter, Gannet, Arctic Skua

No comments:

Post a Comment