Wednesday 27 August 2014

Spurn Day 49

Today was a bit of a come down from yesterday, but it was still pretty incredible. There were fewer scarce migrants, though the icky was ringed at 06.05 and a wryneck was seen in the afternoon, but I saw neither.

I started up at Seawatching but it was dead, and I decided to go for a walk round the canal instead. I was due up a Kierons to finish the report at 10.00 so could not do a long walk, but headed off to see what I could find. Along the canal I found a Sedge Warbler, Willow Warblers, Whitethroat and Lesser Whitethroat. And finally, finally, I managed to get a proper record shot of Lesser Whitethroat. It was a little distant but given my previous attempt was no more than a brown smudge I will honestly take absolutely anything, and it’s pretty clear despite the distance. It’s also the first time I have clearly seen one in the full rather than flying away or skulking through the bushes.
-Lesser Whitethroat
I then had a quick look in Kew but the icky was not there, so I headed along to see Kieron and finish the report. That finished off my morning but the report was all but done. After that I headed back for lunch and to rest before the afternoon.
First thing in the afternoon I headed up to Clubleys to have a look. There were a few Emperor Dragonflies and Common Darters around, but the most surprising thing was when 2 Green Sandpipers were flushed from over the hill and flew over the scrape making a right din. I tried to grab a few record shots of the encounter but they did not come out to well.
-Green Sandpiper
I then headed down to ‘bush bash’ canal hedge, and in doing so found a few Pied Flycatcher and Willow Warbler. It was then that I received a message about a wryneck at Sammies, and as such I speeded straight there without further ado. I did pick up a few Whinchat and Wheatear along the way; they were both sat along the fence posts.
I arrived at the spot to hear that the wryneck had been lost, but it had been photographed while sunbathing. I’m not a cynic by nature but if it was sunbathing why did it feel the need to move? I am wondering if the photographer may have flushed it getting to close, but who is to say, and I am not. It did not show again but during my time at Sammies I found some good birds; Pied Flycatcher, Garden Warbler and a Redstart, which was a Spurn tick for me. It was a young bird flycatching from the edge of the bush, but it was ample compensation for the wryneck dip. I also had a very nice Ruff on the estuary which was quite close to the bank.
-Ruff
I returned to a more central position in case anything turned up. I had a look in the car park of the pub, where I got great views of Pied Flycatcher and another Garden Warbler. The Pied Flycatcher showed very well even on the floor.
I returned to the warren to have some dinner before the seawatch. Seawatching was dead, with only 238 terns flying south, with a few Oystercatchers and one Arctic Skua. The highlight of the evening session was when I went down to make coffees and Paul collard me saying he had a Pied Flycatcher to ring. I finished off the coffees and then went to watch him ringing it. I asked for a few photos but they were too flighty to hold properly, so I could only get a headshot. It certainly gives a different perspective on the birds I have been seeing for the last few days.
-Pied Flycatcher

Species List:
Mooching about: Collard Dove, Lesser Whitethroat, Whitethroat, Sedge Warbler, Reed Warbler, Snipe, Coot, Mallard, Wren, Dunnock, Little Egret, Redshank, Dunlin, Ringed Plover, Turnstone, Pied Flycatcher, Willow Warbler, Woodpigeon, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Garden Warbler, Whinchat,
Sammies: Mediterranean Gull, Common Gull, Black-Headed Gull, Ruff, Common Redstart, Pied Flycatcher, Whinchat, Wheatear, Garden Warbler, Willow Warbler
Seawatching: Gannet, Arctic Skua, Sandwich Tern, Common Tern, Oystercatcher, 

No comments:

Post a Comment